[ welcome ]

All images © Rebecca Lee Hussey 2007, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Monday, March 24, 2008

[ march 24: favorite days ]

This list was actually really hard, and is still really short, even after a lot of thought. I wanted to pick days that I can remember being totally and completely blissfully happy. Unfortunately, I have shit for memory, and can't remember very many specifics of my childhood. So, I have only seven examples of days I was blissfully happy, in no particular order.

  • The day I found out I got a scholarship to UD. My mom called my high school, and had the whole office searching for me because they all knew who I was (for being a good kid, not a trouble maker!). I seriously thought someone had died or something, because such a ruckus was going on. But then I found out that it was good ruckus -- I got a really amazing scholarship to a really amazing school.
  • High school graduation. I was totally the kid who was absolutely dying to get out of my small hometown. I couldn't wait to get out of high school and move on to bigger and better things. I was so happy the day of high school graduation, because I knew that it meant only three short months until college.
  • Scoring a penalty kick in a soccer game in Italy. I played soccer most of my life before I got hurt. Hell, it was my life before I got hurt. One summer, when I was fourteen or fifteen, I played two tournaments in Europe, one in Rimini, Italy and one in Vittoria, Spain. I had played defense for most of my soccer career, so I never got many goal-scoring opportunities. But for whatever reason, my coach picked me to be on the the kickers on PKs at the end of a tie game, and I actually scored! I can't for the life of me remember if we won or lost in the end; all I remember is that I scored a PK.
  • College graduation. I was so excited to start a new life. I was also so incredibly bummed to leave all the amazing friends I made in college, because I was basically the only person to venture of the East Coast. But I was so ecstatic that I had finished college. I got a degree in something I absolutely love, I managed to learn a second language pretty well, and I met some of the best people on the planet. College was amazing, and graduation was so much fun.
  • The day I got a job out here in AZ. I had flown out from Delaware to Arizona for about 36 hours, specifically to interview with the wedding photographer I work for now. It was a couple days before I heard from him, but when I got the message saying that I got the job, I was jumping up and down and could barely contain myself. I was actually at a movie theatre, and had to leave the movie to listen to the message. I'm pretty sure I cheered and yelled out loud, and possibly scared a few people. I was excited!
  • Homecoming Day, senior year of college. Started the day bright and early with beer and bagels, went to the game for a bit, came back and just chilled all day with some of my favorite people. I think beer pong was played for about 14 hours straight. We watched cartoons, and movies. We napped. We went to get coffee and play on the Green. We wandered around campus taking ridiculous pictures, and hanging with the UD goats, Chloe and Lucinda. It was just an amazingly perfect day.
  • The day I landed in Italy for my study abroad. I had been dying to go back to Italy since the soccer tournament. When I figured out I could fit an entire semester in Italy into my schedule, I was beyond thrilled. But nothing can compare to how I felt landing in Rome... knowing I was going to be there for four whole months. Just thinking of it now gives me goosebumps. And makes me want to go back again!
What days in your life stand out as completely blissful? I'm talking happiest you can remember being.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

interesting how perspective develops as you age ... aside from a good wedding LOL, the days that you and your sister were born make the list.
interestingly, some of your days are also mine, also your sister's college graduation and Honors' Day at Delaware. Your graduations, that I got to make that scholarship phone call, they have to make that list.
Regrets, that I wasn't in Italy to see you score that PK - your team placed third in the Italy Cup that summer, but you were the champions in Spain. I have the proud Captain's pictures with the trophies to prove it!
If I sat down and really thought this through, I could have a long list! We should all do this - life in general, would look a whole lot better if we took inventory more often :)