[ welcome ]

All images © Rebecca Lee Hussey 2007, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Friday, June 20, 2008

[ gilmore girls makes me sappy ]

So, I'm sure I've mentioned before that I absolutely love Gilmore Girls. It remains my favorite television show of life, and I have the entire series on DVD. Every once in a while, I pull it out and watch random episodes or entire seasons.

So I watched the last two episodes of the series and then watched parts Season 4 recently, and I gotta say... it makes me so damn sappy. I freakin' well up like once an episode! What the hell?!? I've never ever been much of a crier before... why is Gilmore getting me weepy? When Rory graduates Yale, and Richard tells Lorelai to just enjoy the moment, I get teary. When Rory gets her job and says "What about the rollercoasters?" and Lorelai is clearly trying not to cry, I do it for her. When Richard has a heart attack, I'm a freaking disaster. When Luke and Lorelai finally get together (both at the end of Season 4 and at the end of the series), I get so sentimental and gushy. When the whole town is cheering for Rory at the party in the last episode, tears are racing down my face.

Whaaaat is wrong with me? When did I become a sap? Now that I think about it... I cried when I was watching the Sex and the City movie, and Carrie confronted Big in the street and thwacked him with her bouquet. When did that kinda stuff start making me cry?

A few years ago, it would have been hard for me to remember the last time I had cried. I mean, I kind of giggled when Kate Winslet dropped Leo to the bottom of the sea in Titanic. Now, I'm afraid to watch the whole movie, just in case I finally do get weepy when that happens. Where did my cruel, hardened heart go?

Maybe I got sappy and sentimental at love and loss because I lost love. Stupid love life being nonexistent right now. Bah.

I'm going to go watch some more Gilmore Girls, before I have to go to a photoshoot. Maybe I'll make it through an episode without crying like a baby.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always been crazy sappy like that. I remember as a teen some long distance commercials making me cry. I cry when I read too. And yes, I cried a few times during GG episodes and the SATC movie.

I just watched PS I Love You yesterday...cried the entire time. Which was no surprise since I cried through the entire book. Both are quite good though.

Andrea said...

I love Gilmore Girls too... I love just watching just random episodes.

And yeah... I cried during SATC too.

Sue said...

OMG, I started watching about a month ago, and I'm almost done with the entire series, and its seriously the best TV I've watched in a long time. While it was a running show, I had a lot of misconceptions thinking it was going to be this obnoxious WB show like all the others, and there's such a fine line between wholesome feel good TV and something that's totally exquisite and addictive. And there's something about the way the two main characters are such strong women and while obnoxiously so, I like how ultimately the show favors obnoxiously strong, and that it reigns as the inevitability of just being yourself with your own millions of intelligent/sophisticated thoughts/feelings racing through your mind constantly... plus the infinite and amazingly woven references have expanded my Classic American Cinema Education in ways I cannot quite expound :o)

Anonymous said...

The first post I've read of yours and its about one of my fave shows :-) I love Gilmore Girls!
I also seem to be more prone to sobbing my heart out at films/tv, which would nver have touched me before. I think it has got to do with age and what you experience as you travel along...
But yeah PS I love you.. jeeeeez that was a true sob story! Good film though.