[ welcome ]

All images © Rebecca Lee Hussey 2007, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

[ phoenix film festival: the movies i saw ]

For the past week and a half, I've been volunteering at the Phoenix Film Festival. I mostly took tickets, directed people to the right place, and answered questions. Because I volunteered at least 20 hours (I think I ended up logging closer to 30), I got to see as many movies as I wanted to for free. I ended up having time to see five films, as well as a collection of College-Student-made Short Films. I highly highly highly highly recommend all of them!

Son of Rambow
This movie was absolutely incredible. The person who described it to me said it was about "two British boys who decide to make a Rambo movie after seeing Last Blood." And I thought, "Oh dear lord, why am I going to see this?!?" But it was so so much more than that. It was an incredible story of friendship and boundaries and coming into your own. It's extremely funny and extremely heart-warming.

Mongol
I never ever in my life thought my brain would create the thought "I feel bad for Genghis Khan," but this film made me think it. I have to admit it. It's a biopic about Genghis Khan's life, before he was Genghis Khan. It covers his life from the time he chose his wife and lost his father, at around age 9, up through the battle that sealed his destiny. It really is an amazing and beautiful movie. It makes you remember that everyone is human.

The Art of Travel
This is one of my new favorite films. It follows a young man named Connor, who is about to marry his girlfriend and go off to college, when his whole life turns around. He ends up in Nicaragua by himself, with no money. When he eventually makes it to Panama, he meets two people who will change his life forever. It is an exquisitely done film, starring Christopher Masterson. The scenery is just amazing, the story is so well-done. It made me want to go to an airport and get on the next international flight, no matter where it was heading.

Skid Row
This one was intense. Pras (from the Fugees) lived on Skid Row in LA for nine days, with no money and no help from his crew or friends, filming the entire experience with hidden cameras. There is just no way to describe this movie. All I can say is it was at once intense, terrifying and heartbreaking. I actually had to turn away a few times, because I simply couldn't handle what was shown on the screen. It was really well-done, just really horribly sad.

On Broadway
This one actually won the Audience Award at the festival. It stars Joey McIntyre (yes, of New Kids on the Block) and Eliza Dushku, among others. It's focuses on an Irish family in Boston. When Joey McIntyre's character's uncle dies in an accident, it inspires him to write a play about the traditions and connections within the Irish community. Basically everything is against him, but he knows in his gut that he needs to write the play and get it on stage. This film is absolutely beautiful. Heart-wrenching, really funny, incredibly touching, extremely inspiring. I absolutely loved it, and it definitely deserved the Audience Award.

Really great films, all of them. Others that I wanted to see, and were highly recommended by others at the festival: What We Do Is Secret (couldn't find a trailer); Take (which won Best Film); The Life Before Her Eyes; The Visitor; Dakota Skye (which won Best Screenplay); and 11 Minutes Ago.

Stay tuned for a report on who I met!

No comments: