[ welcome ]

All images © Rebecca Lee Hussey 2007, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Friday, April 25, 2008

[ checking a few off the list ]

Just a quick update to my 101 in 1001 list.

009. Read one business book a month
I'm just over half-way done with The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It, by Michael E. Gerber. It's about the three distinct personalities that everyone has (usually one way more-so than the others) when starting a business: the Entrepreneur, the Technician and the Manager; and about finding balance between those three. It's also about treating your business as a product that will be reproduced a thousand times, and how to make it error-proof, and able to run without you.

019. Go back East to visit friends & family at least once a year
I haven't gone yet, but I am knee-deep in planning my East Coast extravaganza for this summer. I'll be hitting up Boston, Cape Cod, Baltimore, Raleigh, Greenville and possibly NYC to see friends and family. Most of the friends I haven't seen in almost a year (over a year by the time I get there), and a few friends I haven't seen in several years. It's gonna be awesome!

043. Drink 64 ounces of water every day
I'm officially a camel. Some days I feel like I'm about to float away. And the craziest part... I'm still frequently thirsty! Living in a desert really takes it out of you, huh?

049. Start shooting one roll of film or 50 digital images every week
I've actually been able to do this thanks to my own clients! Week One was the Ladies Who Launch Bio Makeover Party; Week Two was an infant shoot with an tiny and oh-so-freaking-adorable four week old; Week Three was a fashion shoot for my friend's children's clothing line; Week Four will be a shoot with two little girls on Saturday; and Week Five will be a corporate head shot session next Friday!

055. Explore Phoenix - one new place per month
This month I ate breakfast at Matt's Big Breakfast. It's a tiny (literally maybe seats 20 people at a time) building, just a short walking distance from my apartment, and it's highly praised out here. It's even been featured on the Food Network. The food was absolutely incredible! And by the time we were done (I was with my parents), there were about 20 people milling around outside waiting for a table!

056. Learn to enjoy wine
I tried a Pinot Grigio from Italy that I really really liked. Of course, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. However, I know what the bottle looks like, so if I see it again, I can buy it!

070. Build a stylish and professional and FUN wardrobe
I got a few new, really nice, pieces. A fabulous black cotton dress from GAP, and a few nicer tops from Old Navy. Does anyone have any recommendations for places I can find nice, but fun, clothes, but for not too much cash?

084. Watch one classic movie a month
The Way We Were, starring Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford. I picked it because (don't laugh!) it's mentioned a lot in Gilmore Girls. I had never seen it, and I like it when I know what the hell they are talking about on the show. So now I get all those references. Plus it was fantastic. And double-plus... Robert Redford is freaking HOT! I mean, I always thought he was attractive (Have you seen The Great Gatsby? Hoooly moly!), and this just solidified it. Yummy.

086. Meet a famous person
I met several at the Phoenix Film Festival! Read about it here.

093. See a cultural event once every six months
Jesse & I went to see a ballet at the beginning of the month. It was performed by Ballet Arizona, and was called Mixed Repertory: A Celebration of Dance! I really liked it a lot... I've always though ballet was just incredibly beautiful. Seeing The Nutcracker is my absolute favorite thing to do around Christmas time.


Yay! Slowly chipping away at it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Italian Pinto Grigio and New Zealand Sauv Blancs are my favorite summer wines.

I love Michael Gerber and really enjoyed that book. I'm hoping to officially start his new book this weekend (I had book club and other books to read and didn't feel like I could focus as much on this one like I wanted).

Katelin said...

Oh I love planning trips, good luck with the East Coast extravaganza!

Eva said...

On Business clothes - Ann Taylor Loft is a personal favorite of mine - the clothes are a little more casual/fun and a good bit cheaper than regular Ann Taylor. I built my whole work wardrobe from there, Zara, and the Gap.