[ welcome ]

All images © Rebecca Lee Hussey 2007, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

[ march 20: classes i loved in college ]

I went to the University of Delaware, and I took some really great classes there. Some of my favorites were:

  • The Sixties: Culture & Counterculture: One of my first classes in college. We watched Low Rider, read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, and basically talked about sex, drugs, and rock & roll. And one of the best parts, I met my ML!
  • Logic: Yeah, yeah. I'm a big dork. Logic was one of my all-time favorite classes, and had it not been so damn time consuming, I would have taken the next level too. I just loved it... proofs were always my favorite part of math class in high school, and this was like proofs to the extreme!
  • Beat Generation Literature: Read some Kerouac, wrote a paper about the man who brought acid to America (Ken Kesey), had another fun semester with ML.
  • Screenprinting: I waited four years to take this class, and it finally fit into my schedule during my senior year. It was so great... I ended up printing what was basically a "We Love Our Bartender" shirt as a class project! Team Schmidty!
  • History of Rock Music: One summer session, I took this class, and basically got to sit and listen to amazing music for a few hours a week, and then had to answer some questions about it. Awesome!
  • Arts of the Islamic World: One of the best professors I ever had taught this class. The art we learned about was so beautiful and inspiring, and my professor was insanely intelligent. Even if the art had sucked, I would have been totally fascinating. He was a great lecturer.
  • Neorealist Italian Lit & Film: Probably the best Italian class I took. We read some great books, and watched some really interesting films. If you know Italian or can find some translations, you should definitely read some Italo Calvino. He's a genius.
Those classes actually represent most of my favorite interests: reading, math, art and music.

What were some of your favorite classes you've taken, college or otherwise?

(PS... I do have some non-list-posts in the works, but I've been a little all over the place. I'll try to post for real this weekend!)

2 comments:

Chickenbells said...

Brit Lit before 1850, Education in America (that introduced me to Way of the Peaceful Warrior), A class I can't remember the name of, but was all about stories and fairy tales and how they affect culture...and the professor had a back problem and taught from a recliner...he was amazing!!

ML said...

YES YES YES!!
60s class & the Beat writers were both amazing courses & we had so much fun together. I miss college!

One more I would add to the list is my Art History Seminar on Deception and Illusion in American Art, which I took as a 2nd writing req & which jump-started my love of Trompe-l'œil and the Peales!