[ welcome ]

All images © Rebecca Lee Hussey 2007, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

[ reading list ]

So right now, I'm working on three books.

The 101 Most Influential People Who Never Lived is one, which I've discussed before. I try to read about a few people every couple days. It's still extremely interesting, and I feel like I'm learning a lot about characters that I've heard about frequently, but didn't technically know who they were or what they did.


The second book I'm working on is Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I picked it up on a whim at Borders, because I've heard (from friends and various internet sources) that it's a must read. I've only read the first fourteen or so tales (or beads, as the author calls them), but so far I am loving it. It's the type of book that could keep me up all night if I let it. I find myself feeling more and more awake with every word I'm reading. I had to force myself to put it down last night, and will probably have to do so again tonight. However, tomorrow, I can read as long as I want, since I work from home on Friday, and I can be tired!



The third book I'm currently reading is Harry Potter e L'Ordine della Fenice. It's the fifth Harry Potter (Order of the Phoenix) in Italian. I put it down a while ago, and have read probably six other books since I last picked it up, but I've started reading it again. It's just as good as the English version (clearly) and I get to feel proud that I can understand it!



I've started to miss the days of reading voraciously. I used to read so much people thought I was making it up. But I just loved to read. I don't think I've lost that love. I just think I feel guiltier about reading for pleasure now. Like I have other things that I should be doing. Other things that are more important, more pressing, more necessary.

But, I have recently decided that I'm going to give myself some more time to do things that truly make me happy. Hence reading three books at once. I've also started watching Gilmore Girls again. It is one of only two shows (the other being The OC) that I watched religiously. I own the entire series on DVD, and they've just been sitting there, collecting dust. So the other night, while Jesse was having dinner with some coworkers, I popped in Season One, Disc One. And let me tell you, I fell in love all over again. Now I'm going to give myself the time to watch an episode or two every week.

And that show doesn't just make me happy and relaxed. It makes me want to learn. The characters are so intelligent and so well-spoken. Not to mention that at least a dozen times an episode, references are made to things I've never heard of, or have heard of but don't really know what they are or do.

I miss learning. I miss school.


TIATF:

Whatever the hell gene I have in me that makes me love school and love learning and love reading. There's nothing quite like reading to make a person happy. And there's nothing like learning to make a person feel fulfilled.

Also, I am thankful for my desire to give myself an hour or two (at least) to do nothing but be happy and do something that makes me happy. Reading and Gilmore Girls is a good start.

What could you be doing to make yourself happy? Why aren't you doing it?

3 comments:

Chickenbells said...

Oh, I love to read...I just haven't been doing a lot of it lately, you see? There is all this other stuff that needs to be done...harumph!

I loved Eat,Pray,Love though...It was one of my favorites this year...

One more day of daily blogging!! Can you believe we actually made it!?!??

Katy said...

I loved Eat, Love, Pray, but I have to say, folks that love it can usually relate to it (or so we noticed in book club). I still have the last HP book to read and I'm kind of putting it off since I'm involved in a bunch of biz-related books right now.

PS - and unrelated to the topic at hand...any chance you can open your comments up to non-blogger accounts. I don't use my blogger/gmail except as my email and my reader, but you don't have the option for "other" available. Which of course, has held me back from commenting more frequently, dork that I can be.

ed said...

Hi Rebecca,
Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog and for saying hi. I finished the book last weekend as planned, loved it.