[ welcome ]

All images © Rebecca Lee Hussey 2007, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

[ applesauce bread ]

Happy Thanksgiving-Eve!

I'd like to share the recipe for not only my contribution to Thanksgiving this year, but also one of my all-time favorite foods: Applesauce Bread/Cake.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two loaf pans (just flouring also works).

1 package instant vanilla pudding (1 oz size)
1 package yellow cake mix
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
4 eggs
1 cup applesauce

Mix it all together (I always do the dry ingredients first, then the wet... less lumpy). Pour into the two loaf pans and bake for 30-40 minutes (it may take longer... it's been my habit to check on it every few minutes once the 30 minutes is up... it's also been different in every single oven I've cooked it in). A toothpick should come out clean, and the cake should come away from the sides of the pans when it's done.


Oh, it is so very very good. I'm making it later today, so perhaps I will post a couple pictures.



TIATF:

Whoever put this recipe in the Little Red Schoolhouse Cookbook when I was in preschool. Yup, I've been enjoying this goodness since I was four years old. Eighteen years later, and it's still a favorite.

2 comments:

Chickenbells said...

It sounds wonderful! Enjoy...

Anonymous said...

this sounds so yummy! To bad I didn't see it earlier I would have made it today. Thanks for sharing - I know I'll be trying this out later.