[ welcome ]

All images © Rebecca Lee Hussey 2007, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Monday, June 2, 2008

[ on attempts at green living ]

A while back (in November), I compiled a list of ways I was attempting to live my life as greenly as possible. I still am making attempts, and thought it was about time for an update.

What I Do To Live Green:

  • I have CF bulbs in all of my lights
  • I moved to a much smaller apartment: I use less electricity, water, etc.
  • I've started bringing bags everywhere I shop, or refusing bags when I can easily carry what I've purchased
  • I try to take short, quick showers
  • I open my blinds instead of turning on lights
  • I'm still a vegetarian, with the exception of seafood
  • I still rarely eat out
  • I still never use plastic utensils or paper plates
  • My air conditioning is at a comfortable 85 degrees, which is quite cool compared to the three-digit weather we've been having for weeks already
  • I make sure to turn the a/c off when I'm not at home or when I just don't feel like I need it
  • I not only turn off my computer when not home, but flip the switch on the entire surge protector -- vampire electricity is a bitch
  • I also unplug my television and dvd player when I'm not using it, as well as any and all chargers
  • I now ride my bike to work, as it's only a half-mile away -- I can now go days without getting in my car
  • I dry almost all of my clothing on a drying rack, and those that I don't, I dry on the Energy Preferred setting on my dryer
What I Am Hoping To Do To Live Green:
  • Get a basket or one of those towing-thingies for my bike so I can take it to the market instead of my car
  • Take advantage of the farmer's market I've discovered that is only a few blocks from my apartment, twice a week
  • Find a way to start recycling again -- my apartment complex doesn't have a recycling program, but I'm sure I can find one

I like feeling like I'm making an effort. Just one person making a small effort won't change things... but if everyone made small changes and small efforts... the change would be incredible!

What do you do to live green?

4 comments:

Katelin said...

oh wow, i'm so impressed with your green ways. i seriously need to follow your lead, haha.

Anonymous said...

Impressive! I'm not doing as much as you are, I know that. I'm still using the plastic bags when I grocery shop and a whole bunch of other things I shouldn't do. But I do use those super-nifty energy saving bulbs.
Which is really more my mom's doing than mine.

EP said...

That's awesome! I'm being more aware of how I lead my life, but you've definitely got me beat. And now that I have this handy dandy list, I can improve on some things... Thanks!

Franklin said...

123.hp.com/oj5258
123.hp.com/oj5255