[ welcome ]

All images © Rebecca Lee Hussey 2007, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Sunday, March 9, 2008

[ march 09: things i collect ]

I was going to be all good, and photographer-y and actually take pictures to go with this post, but the day got away from me, so all you get is the text. My b.

Things I Collect:

  1. Cameras: I guess this one is kind of expected. I just love cameras. I have a couple vintage ones, some of which actually still work, and a bunch of newer ones. It's just so fun to have so many.
  2. Buddhas. Buddha statues of all sizes, shapes and colors. I started the collection in Nice, France, when I was 14 or 15. I was in Europe with my soccer team, playing in two tournaments (one in Rimini, Italy and one in Vittoria, Spain), and we drove from Italy to Spain. We stopped in Nice for a night, and went to a street market, and one of the tables was covered with Buddha statuettes. I don't know what drew me to them, but I ended up buying a black statue that had blue glitter on the cloak. After that, I looked for them everywhere I went, and now I have a couple dozen.
  3. Ampersands. This is a fairly new collection, if you can call two a collection. I remember vividly how excited I was when I could finally draw an ampersand correctly, without looking at one. For years and years, I always ended up drawing cursive capital S's. Once I finally was able to draw them, I basically became obsessed... hence the name of my blog!
  4. Sharpies. I love them. I have probably a hundred or so. I have just about every single color in every single thickness that is produced. I just love 'em to death. They're fabulous.

What do you collect? For any particular reason, or did it just sort of happen?

2 comments:

Katelin said...

I collect post cards, shot glasses elephant statues. Don't really remember how I started collecting any of them, but I love them.

Yvonne said...

I love the way the ampersand takes its origins from the Latin for "and" (et), which if written in a kind of uncial script looks a little like an ampersand, and then the glyph just got modified from there. So beautiful.

And Q (my favourite letter!) gave rise to the question mark. The Q was used as a shorthand for quaerere (query), more Latin!