[ welcome ]

All images © Rebecca Lee Hussey 2007, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

[ it was inevitable ]

Working on #016: Expand my literary influences - one new author a month.

Jesse & I went to the library today, got library cards and I took home two books. The one I decided to start first isn't a new author, as I read not only the author, but the book in high school. But I hated it then, because of my jerk-of-an-English-teacher, O'B. The man was an ass, and everyone hated English that year. Every book was miserable. But, since then, I've reread a couple books I read that semester, and loved them. So I'm giving this a try too.

"Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

First sentence is a killer opening:

[ It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love. ]

Pure excellence.

Book number two that I got today: "White Oleander" by Janet Fitch. I just happened to see it on the shelf (as "F" is near to "G"), and decided on a whim to grab it. I'd heard of the movie, but never saw it. I typically like the books better, anyway. That one will be a new author. So, hopefully I'll read both this month.

1 comment:

Chickenbells said...

Gosh, I've never read either of those books, but was just thinking that I needed a new book to read myself...that way I can really relax!